Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Happy New year! Movies To Look Forward To 2012?

The New Year is beginning and I have compiled a list of movies I’m looking forward to. I’d be more then curious to hear what you are looking forward to yourselves.


The Dark knight Rises


Spoiler, Bruce Wayne dies! Actually I don’t know and I don’t care, I never speculate much or get hyped up for any movie because of two reasons; I feel it can undermine what greatness it may have had creating expectations it can never hope to meet, or become a utter disappointment. There are few directors where I don’t really think about the possible outcome of their directing. These include Martin Scorsese, David Fincher, and Christopher Nolan. I’m sure there are others that qualify but these people are competent enough to me that the majority of their works will retain some weight no matter what, I’m that confidant in them. So all I can say is, Christopher Nolan is directing. . . can’t wait to see it. I’ll avoid as much as I can when it comes to hints of the actual plot.


"G.I.Joe: Retaliation"


I avoided “GI Joe: Rise of Cobra” mainly because it looked stupid with the powered suits and having a stereotyped black character that can't read. Instead I watched the superior animated movie that came out around the same time and aired on Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim. "G.I. Joe: Resolute"
But this movie looks to fix that. I'll just pretend this is a continuation of the cheesy 80s cartoon I never really watched (I grew up with Gi Joe Extreme) starting from where it left off. I am however disappointed that the majority of the cast has been replaced by Bruce Willis and Dwayne Johnson as oppose to unfamiliar faces. I can't say they don't belong in this movie, though in that case I would have liked to have seen Vin Diesel. But by then we'd be getting Expendables 1.5 instead of Gi Joe. Notice there is no "2" present in the title.

“Battleship”



Ok fine it looks fun. That’s all I can hope for when it comes to this movie. It also has Liam Neeson. This looks more like how I wanted “Battle For L.A.” to be like, just a bunch of humans fighting against an alien threat. Burn, purge, kill, for the Emperor! Where did that come from? Anyways this looks like one of those films that are just made to draw in the general crowd, make a lot of money, so we can get the kinds of films snobby guys like me enjoy the most such as last year’s “Drive.”

“The Hobbit”

Peter Jackson, can’t say he’s another one of those directors I am confident in fully, but in regards to high fantasy movies done right, yes he is. I only can imagine the sheer amount of problems and drama this feature had to endure before it was finally made, with multiple directors and producers lining up and dropping off the project while Peter Jackson fights his legal battle against New Line Cinema. But I’m sure it’ll all be revealed later in a tv special or two.
This is to be a 2 part feature. The first part covers the story of The Hobbit and an original film leading up to the Lord of The Rings story. Times like this I am glad to have been born when I was seeing movies like this being placed in the forefront in a country where imagination seems to be looked down upon as only kiddy fare by the majority of people.


“Prometheus”

I’m just going to copy and paste the synopsis from “IMDB” here.
“A team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.”

This is basically “Dead Space: The Unofficial movie” This is supposed to tie in to the first Alien film despite we will never see the iconic alien in the movie it seems. No this is more of a focus about what this crew finds within the ruins of this planet that both holds the answers to humanities creation or ultimate destruction. I love sci-fi to begin with, but I especially love scifi when it seems to have a sense of humanity when it comes to the characters in place of empty meaningless explosions and starship battles.

“Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie”


I admit it, I have a messed up sense of humor. I loved “Tom goes to the Mayor,” and I especially loved the “Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job” series on Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim lineup. It was literally the kind of stuff me and my friends were making in high school but at a more sophisticated level. “Tim and Eric: ASGJ” was random, clever, timeless and most importantly, funny! Very funny!
This trailer doesn’t make me doubt that this movie will be anything but funny when it comes out. It looks like they are trying to have plot for the movie which could fall flat, honestly I’d prefer it just be a series of skits for an hour and a half, “Jackass” got away with it three times after all. With a cast of Will Ferrell and Jeff Goldblum to start, it already looks to be shaping up to be a hilarious time. 


“The Grey”


Liam Neeson fights a wolf with his fists. That aside, I love stories about survival, surviving against all odds. Doesn’t have to involve nature, “The Pianist” is a good example of that. However, I have a special place in my heart for a movie where humans overcome nature. There is not much that can be said about this movie. It looks as if the plot is simple enough and this is mainly about holding tension through out the film.


“John Carter”

Ok this film has not gotten the attention it deserves and my fear is that we may have a great film that bombs in theaters yet again because it’s full of that “kiddy fantasy crap” and it doesn’t involve buff muscular men with big machine guns. I’m talking in light of how “Expendables” was number one while in the same week, “Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World,” was a complete box-office dud.
          This film seems tame at first but then you see piles of dead bodies being thrown in a fire and at that moment you know more than likely this is not going to take its subject matter lightly. A movie can lose all tension and sense of danger when the main characters treat a dire situation like a child at recess. And this film at the moment seems to have a sense of balance to it without it turning into another “Episode 1.”
          Ideally, this should be great for all ages. The younger crowd for the special effects, and the older crowd for a relatable and interesting story.


“The Cabin In The Woods”


A tired set up and a tired set of typical cast members. However, right before you’re ready to hit the back button on your browser you see a bird fly into what appears to be an invisible electronic wall. Apparently these kids are trapped here and being observed for experimental purposes. Yet as it progresses, you see imagery that suggests there is something more to it. People wearing cultist masks, secret rooms and traps.
I’m not hoping for anything deep mind you but an attempt at interesting twists is more than welcome at least. This is the same team that brought us “Cloverfield” so I have high hopes this will at least be a wild ride in the cinema, something many people will be talking about after it’s released.

So that’s all I have to say about the big trailers that are catching people’s eyes. What are your thoughts? Any films of your own you are looking forward to that you feel I or others overlooked? Feel free to email, or comment below your thoughts and ideas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment